Over the decades, authorities have published public dietary and nutritional guidelines in an attempt to inform individuals about the healthiest choices to optimize health and prevent disease. However, conflicting and sometimes contradictory messaging has often led to more confusion than clarity. With so many different types of diets and supplements available it is difficult to know if they are really right for you. We have all heard some people say that certain diets work wonders for them but unfortunately not all see the same success. Part of the reason there are wide variations in individual responses to different diets and
A unit of energy commonly used on food packaging to describe how much energy is obtained through the consumption of a specific food product.
Hormones Signalling mole- cules that are used for communication between various organs in the body for physiological regulation over processes such as metabolism.
E very day, we are bombarded with advertisements for new weight loss diets, supplements, and exercise routines. The vast majority of us spend our entire lives struggling to maintain a weight that is healthy or desirable. There are cer- tainly many people that are over-eating or under-exercising for their caloric require- ments, and this contributes to obesity and a plethora of other disease states, such as diabetes. However, for some individuals, it doesn’t matter how little we eat, or how much we exercise, be- cause the weigh- ing scale doesn’t seem to be budge!
Weight loss can be quite complex with many
Calorie Counting is Good…
A Calorie is Not Just a Calorie
Most people that have done their own dietary research know that the human body
Physiologically, the body treats fats, proteins, and carbohydrates differently.
What About Hormones?
The thyroid is lar gel y responsible for maintaining the body’s metabolic rate, through the release of thyroid hormones. These hormones dictate
The Importance of Stress
When we are stressed, our body needs
Sleep and its Role in Weight Management
In 2010, Hairston and
There is now a mountain of evidence to show that toxins in our environment can play a great role in body size. Studies have shown that prolonged exposure to chemicals such as hexachlorobenzene, polybrominated biphenyl, and phthalates can disrupt normal
Weight loss is a complex process and there is much more to consider than just counting your calories. Eating the right type of food, getting restful sleep, avoiding
1. Jenkins DJ et al. Glycemic index: overview of implications in health and disease. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2002;76(1):266S-73S.
2. Krebs NF et al. Efficacy and safety of a high protein, low carbohydrate diet for weight loss in severely obese adolescents. J. Pediatrics. 2010;157(2):252-258.
3. Diana Fernandez et al. Images of a Healthy Worksite: A Group-Randomized Trial for Worksite Weight Gain Prevention with Employee Participation in Intervention Design. American Journal of Public Health. 2015;e1.
4. Patel SR et al. The association between sleep duration and obesity in older adults. Int. J. Obes. (Lond.) 2008;32(12):1825-1834.
5. Hairston KG et al. Sleep duration and five-year abdominal fat accumulation in a minority cohort: the IRAS family study. Sleep. 2010;33:289-295.
6. Tang-Péronard JL et al. En